Can Dogs Drink Coconut Water: Yes. While there is no substitute for water, coconut water can be a good gift for your dog. It is full of electrolytes that can help keep your dog hydrated and even give them an energy boost, as it is full of nutrients such as potassium, calcium and vitamin C.
Can Dogs Drink Coconut Water?
Coconut water should be introduced gradually into your dog’s diet to see how your system reacts. A few ounces per day as a gift or to help keep your dog hydrated on hot days is all you need. Some coconut water ice cubes can also be a great reward when you train.
Keep in mind that coconut water is rich in carbohydrates, so you should not overdo it. Also, make sure that the coconut water you are giving your dog is natural without additives such as sugar.
Benefits of Coconut Water for your Dog
For some time now, coconut water has become fashionable because of the benefits it offers, but is it only good for humans or can it be good for your dog? Among the advantages of taking coconut water are the following:
- It is a totally natural drink low in calories and free of fat.
- Due to its high electrolyte content, it is an excellent moisturizer.
- It is low in sodium and free of cholesterol.
- Has more potassium than four bananas or a sports drink.
- It has fewer sugars than a sports drink, a soft drink or a juice.
- Fortunately, your dog can also benefit from taking coconut water, as it is completely healthy for them.
You just have to take these points into account so that this practice does not harm your dog :
- Always look for coconut water completely natural, because those that sell flavors have added sugars that will make your dog bad (and, in reality, you too).
- Although it is an excellent drink, you should not abuse it , as it is not calorie free. A serving of 325 milliliters has about 60 calories and, therefore, if taken several times a day, calories would increase considerably.
- For this reason, it is better than you see it as a “liquid prize” for your dog instead of a substitute for natural water.
- Be very careful not to confuse the coconut water (which is completely transparent and is obtained from the inside of the coconut) with coconut milk (which is a white and thick liquid that is obtained from the pulp of the coconut). Remember that coconut milk is very high in calories and fat and, therefore, is not recommended for dogs.
In any case, we recommend that if you have doubts about this topic, consult your trusted veterinarian.