Remedies for Dog Cough: A cough in dogs is a condition that, in most cases, is presented as a symptom of infections in the airways, heart problems or a cold. In any case, it is always advisable to visit a veterinarian to identify the cause of a cough and initiate the most appropriate treatment.
Once the medical treatment has started, you have the possibility of supplementing it with natural remedies. Keep reading this article and discover what are the home remedies for your dog’s cough.
Steps to follow:
- The first thing to do if you have not yet gone to the vet is to try to identify the cause. Knowing the origin of a cough not only allows you to start a certain treatment but also to know if your dog suffers from a serious illness or not. Remember that it can be a symptom of abnormalities in the respiratory system or heart problems.
- Until your dog’s cough has completely disappeared, it limits physical activity. Excessive exercise can aggravate respiratory problems and cause an increase in a cough. So, try not to overexertion.
- Of course, do not completely eliminate the exercise, since it could trigger in a stressed dog or with anxiety due to lack of activity. You must rest and maintain as little physical activity as possible.
- One of the most popular dog’s cough remedies, also indicated by veterinarians is medlar juice. Remember that there are a number of toxic foods for dogs, including avocado, so any juice is not worth it.
- You should try to drink a glass of this juice, since its high content of vitamin A will strengthen your immune system and favor the mucous membranes, now damaged, of your airways. If you do not like the taste, take a plastic syringe, which comes with syrups for children, and give it to you little by little. Do not force it since it could result in vomiting.
- Also, numerous studies have shown that vitamin C also strengthens the immune system of dogs. So, another home remedy for your cough is the supplements of this vitamin. You will have to administer 100mg a day if it is of a small race, 250mg if it is medium or 500mg if it is big or giant.
- You do not give him more quantity since it could cause diarrhea in your dog. Similarly, green leafy vegetables are an excellent source of vitamin C, supplementing your diet with a reduced amount of vegetables. Of course, check with your veterinarian first.
- As with humans, fumes considerably relieve a cough in dogs. For them, there are several medicinal plants that can help you as a home remedy, among them Echinacea and eucalyptus. Thanks to its expectorant and antitussive properties, they favor the respiratory tract and alleviate the cough of your dog.
- So, put water to boil and add some leaves of one of these plants. When you can sleep, place a container with the mixture fresh from the fire and cover the head, as you would, to breathe the steam. Remember that not all plants are good for cans, see our article on toxic plants for dogs.
- Finally, another of the most effective home remedies for coughing your dog is coconut oil, since it strengthens the immune system, promotes energy and vitality and helps treat heart disease.
- Simply, mix two tablespoons of this oil in your bowl of water and let him drink as usual. In the same way, cinnamon is another ideal complement to treat a cough.
- Remember that it is advisable to check with your veterinarian before giving your dog any of these home remedies for a cough. Also, you should not stop giving medical treatment, since the remedies should be a compliment, not the solution.
- This article is most informative, in a Dogsfud.com we do not have the power to prescribe any veterinary treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home Remedies for coughing my dog, we recommend you to check our complete site to know more details.