What are Dog Fleas Treatment? These small dark brown insects with a pinhead size become more active when the temperature rises above 35ºC and with a relative humidity of 70%, which makes them more susceptible to some areas of the country.
With a complete life cycle that goes from 16 days to 21 months, depending on environmental conditions, fleas are very active insects that feed on the blood of dogs and people. They can jump without problems from one dog to another, spreading rapidly through the skin, where they stay well hidden while they bite and suck the animal’s blood.
Fleas not only feed on blood but also transmit through their bites very dangerous diseases for dogs such as canine dermatitis, tapeworm and in more severe cases cause anemia.
In this article we will show you how to eliminate fleas in dogs effectively and if in these cases you like to treat your dog naturally, we will talk about home remedies for fleas in dogs.
Why does Dog have Fleas? & Dog Fleas Treatment
Dogs that have low defenses or are a little sick are more prone to pick fleas than healthy dogs, hence the saying “skinny dog everything is fleas.” If we walk with our dog through the countryside, through unclear places or through cattle (sheep, cows, horses). It is likely that our dog can easily acquire a flea.
Healthy dogs also catch fleas, often play with other dogs that may have fleas and are immediately infected. A flea can jump up to thirty centimeters, so moving from one dog to another is very simple for them.
Dogs with poor hygiene are the most likely to suffer fleas, if they are not washed when appropriate or carry the corresponding protections, such as pipettes for dogs, they will be an easy target for fleas, do not miss: What is the best pipette? for a dog ?.
Do not worry if your dog has caught fleas, it is not his fault and has a solution. The first thing we must do is to detect if it has fleas, we will open with our hands a small hole in its fur, gently and without hurting it, all we want is to observe. If we see that small black or brown bugs, the size of the head of a pin move between their hair, it has contracted fleas.
How to Eliminate Fleas?
The treatments to eliminate the fleas of our dog and our home are very effective, nowadays we have a whole range of products that will facilitate us and much the task of disinfection of fleas in dogs, always recommended to take into account the classic home remedies to eliminate fleas.
Remember to also follow these tips and you can enjoy a dog free of fleas.
- The first thing we must do is maintain a rigorous hygiene both at home and in our own pet. We will wash our dog with a special anti-flea shampoo, which can be found at any veterinary clinic. It will repeat the washing at fifteen days and thereafter, once a month.
- Throw the dog’s bed in the trash and buy a new one, eliminating the possible eggs or larvae in your bed. We can also wash it in the washing machine at maximum temperature, that will eliminate the existing fleas (if possible, add a little bleach to the washing machine).
- Wash the area where our dog usually plays or sleep, the places where it usually is at home, with water and bleach, to eliminate any possible egg or flea larva.
- After the bath of our dog, we will wait 48 hours and then we will apply an anti-flea pipette, for sale at any pharmacy. These pipettes have a monthly duration, so each month we will put a new pipette, always after two days after washing.
- There are collars that we can also use, they are flea and tick repellents, so they will help our dog do not get infected again. These collars usually last between two and four months, depending on the brand and composition.
Remember that it is useless to eliminate them from your dog if at home there are eggs and larvae that can reinfect it at any time.
A Remedy for Fleas in Dogs:
- Buy a comb for fleas, this comb is made with especially narrow teeth.
- Use it on the hair on your dog’s back and legs. The teeth of the comb are designed to catch fleas that are hidden behind the dog’s fur.
- Make sure that when you pass the comb to your pet you do it as close to the hair root as possible so that you are more likely to catch all the fleas.
- Prepare a container of water to clean the comb and remove all live fleas.
A trick that can help you to eliminate fleas from your dog is to place a towel or white blanket on the ground under your dog. While you pass the comb to your dog, the fleas will fall from the dog’s skin to the towel.
How to Get Rid of Fleas from Dog:
Next, I will show you the best way to end the fleas of your dog and it is the one that has worked for me:
- The first step will be to bathe your dog with an anti-flea shampoo for dogs. They can be a bit expensive but it is the most effective way to end the fleas of your dog.
- Be sure to give several hands with the flea shampoo and cover perfectly. The entire body of your dog with it and remove all the dead fleas that you find.
- Do not forget to soak your dog and leave a few inches of water in the tub or tub where you bathe your dog. So that the fleas that fall will drown and die.
- You can also help with a flea comb to remove dead fleas.
Once you have finished all this process clarify your dog well and take it to dry to an area that he does not spend much time and keep it in that place. In this way, we will make sure that it is not in a very flea-infested area
Home Remedies to Eliminate Fleas in Dogs
If you are one of the people who prefer natural remedies against fleas in dogs. Here we show you the most effective.
Lavender oil, an excellent remedy to get rid of fleas in dogs
The anti-flea collar of lavender oil is a great way to avoid fleas in dogs, for this you will need:
- Natural lavender oil
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of water.
- A bandana or a collar for dogs.
- Dropper (optional)
How to use
- Dilute 2 or 3 drops of oil in 2 or 3 tablespoons of water. Some people use the oil undiluted, but it is advisable to dilute it, even if it is small.
- Next, mix a spoonful of water with 5 drops of oil and with a dropper or other similar means apply 5-10 drops on the handkerchief and rub with your fingers to spread the drops. Repeat this process once a week.
Garlic, natural remedy for fleas
Fleas do not like garlic. So it is a great natural flea repellent and is safe to use in the yard and with your pet.
Here we show you how to make a homemade repellent for fleas, for this you will need:
- 8 heads of chopped garlic.
- 4 liters of water.
- Garden sprayer
How to use
- Mix the garlic and water in a large bucket and let the mixture stand for 12 hours.
- Then strain the mixture into a colander and fill the garden sprayer.
- Then lightly spray all the area of the patio or garden
Apple cider vinegar, very effective remedy to eliminate fleas in dogs.
This remedy is very effective and very easy to do. In addition to fleas do not like a dog that has its coat acid. For this remedy you will need:
- 120 ml of hot water.
- 180 ml of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ sea salt.
How to us
- Mix the ingredients in a bottle with sprayer
- Next, spray your dog’s fur with the liquid. Avoid spraying eyes, ears, mouth or wounds.
How to prevent fleas in dogs
- Frequently inhale the armchairs, beds, and rugs of your home. You can also spray with a frost spray for extra caution.
- If you have grass, keep the grass cut.
- Frequently disinfects the utensils of your pet with hot water and bleach or with until.
- Constantly inspect your dog’s fur, brush his hair with a flea comb and see if he has fleas.
- Bathe your dog periodically with an anti-parasitic shampoo, this will avoid fleas or other parasites.
If you want to read more articles similar to an effective remedy for fleas in dogs. We recommend that you enter in our section of dog care